A housewife, a baby bump, Voice of Russia and the zoo

Just another week in the life of D.C's third favorite otter!!

Monday
The week started off going to see singer song writer Jay Brannan at the Rock & Roll Hotel on H Street. It's the second time that I've had the privilege of seeing Jay. The first was with the first friend I made after moving to D.C. - Paola. Sadly, she no longer lives here and we've slowly lost touch. But the night of familiar songs definitely had me thinking back to that first time - seeing Jay, experiencing the Rock & Roll Hotel and having a blast with one of the best girls I'd met in Virginia. 

Well, this night began with dinner and drinks at Sticky Rice with a group of friends - yep, I was shoving some sushi and tater tots in my face! After making fun of a certain new friend for pulling out a solar panel cell phone charger - we ventured over to the venue and awaited to hear Jay. Not only does he have a great voice, but a nice sarcastic sense of humor - which if you know me at all you know I like. In fact, I think I decided that night that I enjoy his voice more live than recorded. There is just something about being able to lean up against the wall and listen to lyrics that seem to be meant for you. 

And yes, I succumbed to the groupie mentality of the night and got my picture with him - he is cute - so I guess it worked out. Of course being me, I just had to make a sarcastic comment meeting him - "Oh hey Jay, nice to meet you...so you really can sing, huh." Yeah that happened and it may not have been my shinning comedic hour, but he was a good sport - so that is much appreciated.

Here is a video clip of Jay's song "Beautifully" from that night for your enjoyment.



Wednesday
It was indeed hump day and in more than just the literal middle of the week sense. After a long day at work I met up and had dinner with some of my grad school peeps at Ping Pong Dim Sum. It was great to see everyone, especially Michelle and her baby bump!! I guess instead of hump day it was more of a bump day (don't laugh all at once). I know that the little girl growing in the baby bump will be VERY excited to meet her favorite guncle in D.C. (that is gay uncle for those of you not as familiar with the term). And yes, I did try all but one of the drinks on the happy hour menu...cheers to hump day! Enjoy some of the random pictures from the night - including the one where some how I look like gigantor next to Jackie! 

Oh, and while I have a captive audience for a minute - let me send a shout out to Michelle and Brandon - you may not know them but they are awesome (and will be great parents). Over 3.5 years ago they were kind enough to move from their one bedroom apartment in Alexandria to a two bedroom - so that I could move to D.C. Without their kindness I wouldn't be your third favorite otter - so a big thanks to them! 


Thursday
The week decided to wrap up with a radio appearance on the Voice of Russia's Sex, Politics and Religion (SPAR) hour with Jamila Bey. My co-worker Melissa and I were invited to talk about JPI's recently completed youth public safety brief series - which discusses how investments in youth serving systems can help to not only increase public safety, but promote 
positive life trajectories for the city's youth. Specifically, I was asked to talk about the report I co-authored on D.C.'s child welfare system. The brief, Fostering Change, has definitely gotten a better reception than I anticipated and has had me making the rounds lately - with an appearance on WPFW's "Voices with Vision" and a testimony before the D.C. City Council last week. Now on the radio...and yes of course it only makes sense that I would be on a show called "Sex, Politics and Religion." 

Friday
It was a beautiful day in D.C. and I decided to celebrate it by grabbing a sandwich and schlepping my ass to the White House for lunch. No, I wasn't invited to have lunch on the veranda - like you would think, but I did enjoy a lovely lunch sitting in the park!

And yes, I ended the week with a visit to Otter Crossing at the D.C. Eagle - let's just sum it up by calling it a hot drunken mess.

Saturday
What better way to spend a Saturday than a drunk brunch and a trip to the zoo! It was D.C.'s first annual gay day at the zoo.Yep, you read that right. What is Gay Day at the National Zoo? Well,  exactly what it sounds like - a bunch of gays going to the zoo. Watch out tourists you will be surrounded by mimosa-ed up sassy gays wanting to have their picture taken with pandas! Or in my case the elephant photo booth - I was late to the party, but I made the last picture.

Now, I know the burning question you are asking yourself right now - how many gays can you fit in a photo booth? I say get off your ass and find out - I am not here to tell you everything! :)







Popular Posts