Primary politics: Anything you can do, I can do better...

Every time I open Facebook, my news feed is inundated with posts about the election. I'm sure it's not a surprise to you as a reader, but I am a democrat (much to the chagrin to a large contingent of my family). Shocking, I know. As you can imagine the vast majority of the posts that I am seeing are #feelthebern or #imwithher or more so as of late #burnher and #iaintwithhim. 

So many articles are being spread around about why Bernie, no Hillary, no Bernie is the best or in some cases the worst candidate for the party. I've stayed mostly above the fray and it's not because I am not interested in a discussion about the candidates or politics, but it's because I refuse to use my voice and platform to denigrate either candidate - it has become all too easy and far too common to focus on the disagreements and negative attributes. Do I think they both have flaws? Yes. Do I think they both would be better than the current GOP front runner? As Sarah Palin would say "you betcha." 

What concerns me though about where we are headed is the increasing need to tear the other candidate apart in order to prove your support for your candidate. But even more so is the seemingly lack of a fundamental recognition that a revolution can't just be in presidential election years. Everyone who is energized and out there wanting to change the system has to vote in the off years too, quite frankly those years can be even more important.

So yes, there can be valid arguments made for either candidate, Bernie or Hillary. Neither is perfect and neither will be able to accomplish all that they want or intend to accomplish. We live in a democracy, and that means for better or worse progress comes through compromise. But what I do know is this: if all the people who are #feelinthebern or are #withher don't bring this passion, energy and commitment for reform to local, state and congressional elections, including the midterms, then all the back and forth, all of the grand standing, and all of the talk of a revolution are for naught.

The president is one part of broader system of government. Lets not forget that there are 535 people who are elected to congress who wield just as much power and responsibility for our domestic policy and problems as the president and his or her administration. And if we are not willing to get involved in all levels of government and engage in all levels of the political process then the realization of a revolution is just an idea spoken into the wind.

That is why during this election cycle I am proud to commit my time, energy, and passion to supporting Lisa Blunt Rochester for Congress. Lisa is running for the lone congressional seat in the state of Delaware. She is a lifelong public servant, a friend, and a truly phenomenal woman.

Now I am sure you are wondering, wait why Delaware? Well, if you did not know this, I attended graduate school at the University of Delaware. I've lived in both Newark and Wilmington. And I served as a sexual assault victim advocate in the Delaware community and on the policy committee of the Delaware HIV Consortium. I was not just a graduate student during my time in the First State, I was an involved advocate and community member. So, while I may not live in Delaware anymore, I have connections and ties to the state.

And that is why I am proud to support Lisa. She is passionate and fearless, and has the unwavering belief that we must all work together to thrive together.

So continue to support your candidate, articulate your positions in a respectful manner, but please do not silo your attention to one person who holds one office, our future is not determined every four years, it is determined on actions that are taken each and everyday by people who are elected at all levels of government.

In solidarity,
DC3FO


Popular Posts