Go vote, but above all practice empathy

Today I took a long reflective walk after an autumn rain and ended up walking through the United States Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery. It is one of the oldest national cemeteries in the country and the final resting place for veterans dating back to the Civil War. As the sun began to set and I walked among the rows of white headstones, I couldn’t help but stop and reflect on these lives, our country, and the impending election.

I know that things feel so divisive - between the pandemic, needed calls for police reform and racial justice, and an election that has been framed in many ways as a battle for the direction of our nation. What I know is that I believe in the power of empathy as a tool for social change, and more simply as an essential part of the human experience that allows us to build true connection. I want empathy in my neighbors, my friends, my family, and my elected leaders. Having it doesn’t make you weak, it means that you can see and feel the world through someone else’s shoes. To me that is an imperative quality of any good leader, and sadly it is a quality lacking in so many areas of leadership. 

For me, this is why I support Joe Biden. You may feel differently, and that is your right and choice. But I’ve met Joe and I know many people who have worked for him or work for him now and they are good, caring people. There are many things that define the human experience, but one that is universal is that of loss. If you know Joe Biden’s story, you know he’s experienced that. And if you know mine, you know I have too. I’m not saying that alone makes him my candidate. I share many policy positions with him and the Democratic Party. Yes, my positions differ from many people in my life, but our beliefs are largely shaped by our life experiences and my path has been different than many members of my family and many friends I have. And you know what, that is okay.

Whatever happens on Tuesday I will still work everyday to try and model empathetic leadership. I will still care and share love for people who voted for my candidate or not. I will still do the work of social justice. My heart will still hurt when I see a homeless person on the street or when I hear, read, or see acts of racial injustice or violence. I will continue to stop, say a prayer, and take a moment of reflection when I walk past the United States Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery. In that moment of reflection, I will also pause and think about the generations of Americans and people from around the world who have endured pain, discrimination, slavery, servitude, and injustice so that I can stand here freely walking through the streets of my neighborhood. And I will be grateful to all those who have fought and continue to fight for freedom, justice, and love.

Be a participant in our democracy. Go out and vote, but above all practice empathy.

With love,
DC3FO

Popular Posts