Feed your soul...

There are so many blog posts that I’ve wanted to write in the past couple months, but I have simply failed to. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but I’ve decided I want to do better in 2018. I like thinking, processing, and expressing myself through writing - it is actually one of the things that feeds my soul.

Another thing that feeds my soul is travel. If you follow me at all on Facebook you have been witness to my "This is 33: Holiday Edition" - posts full of my two week travels to Europe for the holiday. Yes, basically I felt like Cameron Diaz in the movie "The Holiday" jetting off to England to spend Christmas in the English countryside. Unlike Cameron Diaz however, this was not a house swap and I didn't meet and fall in love with a sexy dad of two. Life isn't always like the movies. Instead I was visiting family and spending my days exploring the coasts of Cornwall, followed by New Years in Naples, Italy. Like I said feeding my soul!

On my last day in England before returning to DC, Aunt Linda took me Manifest Magic for a tarot card reading. It was the first time I have ever had a reading, and don’t get me wrong there is a part of me that is skeptical of the whole process. But I'll also admit there are many things that are mysterious and not easily understood in the universe, so I went in open minded. 

Bridge leading into St. Ives
So, there I was having another surreal life moment as I sat having my cards read in a small shop overlooking an old cobblestone street in St Ives Cambridgeshire, England. The cards told me many things: that I've surrounded myself with amazing people in my life; that I lead with empathy even if it drains me; and that I have better intuition than I even realize. Not necessarily revolutionary, but also not off the mark. Another thing the cards indicated that resonated with me was that I’m in need of a change and that the universe is inviting me to make that change. I'd be lying to you and myself if I didn't admit here that I've felt the need for a change for the last six months or so, but unsure of what direction to go. 

Part of my homework from the reading session is to work on finding a better balance between my gut and my head. To pay attention to situations where my gut reaction says one thing, but my brain begins rationalizing it away. To be open to changing perspectives, and be willing to do the challenging work of not giving others my energy reserves. If you know me well, that last one likely strikes a cord, and I can feel you either shaking your head in agreement or saying "duh no shit, Paul - I've been saying that for years." 

To keep your energy reserves and energy fuel tank full you need to do things that feed your soul, things that you love - things that bring you joy. For me some of those things are traveling, singing, dancing, writing, and observing art in its various forms. So as part of my new years resolutions  I am going to work on doing more of the things that feed my soul.

What feeds your soul?

With love,
DC3FO 



Popular Posts