Live your truth...

I like to tell people that it is important for each and every one of us to live our truth no matter what it looks like. Often times it's easier said than done. Finding your truth can be hard, and it's not always black and white, and it changes over time.

This morning I am living my truth - and for me on this morning it is in its simplest form. That of true peace, reflection and enjoyment. I'm writing this while enjoying coffee watching the sunrise from my treehouse in Lake Pend Oreille in Dover, Idaho - and it is incredible.

I've spent the past nine days traveling. It's been exhausting, refreshing, educational, and inspirational. I got to spend too short a time exploring San Diego, and celebrating a family wedding before hopping on a plane to Spokane.

Why Spokane you ask? Why not? Okay, mostly because that is where my conference was, but honestly it wasn't so bad after all. My week in Spokane was full of reconnecting with old friends, meeting new ones, and discussing civilian oversight of law enforcement - not to mention trying some local craft beers. This was my third NACOLE (National Association of Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement) Conference and it is always inspiring to meet people doing incredible work around the country who are emerging thought leaders on how best to provide oversight to law enforcement.

Believe it our not, I am currently the chair of the DC Police Complaints Board, the governing body for the DC Office of Police Complaints (OPC), an independent government agency tasked with addressing civilian oversight of the DC Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and DC Public Housing Authority Police. I've been on the board three years and I've been chair nearly a year. For those not familiar, OPC is actually one of the model investigative civilian police overnight agencies in the country. I'm proud of the all the team does on behalf of the residents of the District, and I consider it a privilege to be a part of this work. I also recognize as chair there is still more to do and improvements to be made.

That is why for me NACOLE is always such a refreshing experience. I spent the week engaged in thoughtful and thought provoking conversations on how to effectively reshape the law enforcement landscape from both the perspective of those in law enforcement and those in civilian oversight.

Plus, I got to try local craft beers and explore Manito Park and Botanical Gardens - where I literally stopped and smelled the roses in the rose garden.

Advocacy work driven by empathy is part of my truth. It's usually not easy, and it can be exhausting, frustrating, and at times seem hopeless - but I believe in my core that it is worth it. That we are truly tasked with "being the change we want to see in the world." So I live my truth. And over time I have come to fully embrace the importance of self care.

For a long time I poo poo'ed those who advocated for it with such vigor. Sure, sure I thought we all need self care that's obvious. And truthfully it wasn't until recent personal events that I gained a renewed sense of living. That my truth was no longer just advocating for a better world, but committing to seeing the beautiful imperfections of the world I currently live in.

So that is how I found myself staring out of a treehouse at the morning sun shimmering on Lake Pend Oreille. And it is magical.

Find your truth and live it!

With love,
DC3FO

Popular Posts