Tickets, drinks, and sand...all for America

This year I made it to the beach. And beach, oh how I miss thee! I spent the 4th of July weekend enjoying the sun, surf and sand in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

It was my first time doing the gay beach weekend. Yes, I've been to Rehomo (it's nickname for being the gayest beach in the mid-Atlantic) before, but only when I lived in Delaware. See, I went to grad school at the University of Delaware and from where I lived in the northern part of the state it was just a short hour and half drive down to the beach. Needless to say as a cheap grad student I never spent the money to embrace the drinking and overnight shenanigans of a true Rehoboth weekend adventure.

Well all that changed when one of my friends invited me to join him in a group house to celebrate America's birthday. The beach, a house full of gay men and America's birthday - how could one say no?

And yes, the weekend was all that you could imagine - fireworks, good food (thanks Larry), birthday cake, booze, sand, pool parties, skinny dipping and even a drag magician. Yep, you read that right - a drag magician. Her name was Cashetta and she was exactly what you would imagine: a drag queen who did some singing (actual singing, not lip-syncing) and magic. Hell, she even did some tarot card readings before her show began and she was actually hilarious and quite entertaining.

Overall, the weekend was a success with only a couple hiccups, mostly in the form of tickets. Yes, like the ones given out by police officers. I shall spare the details to protect the innocent, or well not so innocent, but don't worry it was nothing overly crazy that would require jail time...

All in all, I got to meet some new friends and maybe a cute boy or two; enjoyed a nice walk down the boardwalk with a pit stop in an arcade; had my legs complimented; my hair questioned (is it natural? For the record it is); and ended it all with a run on the beach.

When are we going back?

~ DC3FO

Popular Posts