Embrace adventure & lead with heart...

Be the change you want to see in the world.
(John Lennon Wall, Prague) 
Wait, what!?! You’re 33?

Yes, I know, I know I look 28, but truly I am 33. And I decided to celebrate my “Jesus Year” in style embracing in many ways its meaning for a year of rebirth.

If you're my friend on the Facebook you probably got slightly annoyed with my picture posts about my birthday gift to myself a European adventure. And of course for the trip I added another hashtag: #thisis33. I decided to adopt this hashtag not just to be self indulgent, but to serve as a reminder that in this year, like any, to live my best life. To remember to embrace joy, and recognize that despite life’s challenges I am blessed to have an amazing community of friends and the opportunity to experience the world.

For me Living my best life means leading with heart and embracing adventure, and that's exactly what I’m doing. In the past month I’ve been to a friend’s wedding in Cincinnati; celebrated my birthday in Prague and Vienna (with none other than Gina, the original birthday twin); explored the U.K. with my family; saw Beautiful: The Carole King Musical in London’s West End; and ended it all with seeing Sara Bareilles starring in Waitress on Broadway. It has truly been a whirlwind, but has reminded me of the importance of showing up for friends and family, embracing adventure, and recognizing that we are a small piece of a grand global puzzle.

In the end life is not about the amount of money you make, or the kind of car you have, or your art work (even though I like art work) it is about relationships. It’s about being true to yourself and being unafraid to share that with people in your life. I believe in the power of connection (or as my friend Billy would say, “Paul believes in the power of human touch,” but that is for another story).

In the end while I write this listening to music from “Waitress” I can’t help but reflect on how truly lucky I am to have the life that I do. To believe in the power of empathy and to strive to live a life of purpose with courage, compassion, and connection. I am beyond fortunate to have made fantastic friends and connections throughout my life, and that is why showing up in the moments that matter to people matters to me. That’s love and that’s something I’m proud to give.

And let me end by saying Happy Pride! It’s that time of year where we march, parade, drink, dance, and yes engage in self reflection. It’s a time for the LGBTQ communities to embrace and love ourselves, celebrate the progress our communities have made, and to recognize that there is still work to be done. There are still many people around our country and world who still don’t feel the freedom to be themselves. Pride is about celebrating the freedom to live your truth. So march, parade, and dance for those of us who have that freedom, and to inspire hope and change for those who don’t.

Be proud and share love,
DC3FO

Popular Posts