I bought a rainforest...

I recently discovered the NatGeoLive series hosted by National Geographic that brings in interesting concepts and topics for a live presentation. You should check it out - I'm two for two on good events!

The most recent one I attended was "I bought a rain forest." A fascinating talk from wildlife photographer, television presenter, and National Geographic photojournalist Charlie Hamilton Jones.

Charlie began his talk by telling about how his obsession with photographing otters and other hard to capture fresh water animals led him to National Geographic. Yes, you read that correctly he has an affinity for photographing otters. I think it was destiny that I ended up at this talk. And no, he did not photograph me - so you can stop your line of thinking right there, this is about otters as in the animal, not otters as in your third favorite variety.

Anyway, back to Charlie and his journey to NatGeo. As a photojournalist he tells interesting stories and concepts through photography, specifically Charlie focused his work on investigating ecosystems and telling a story about the ecosystem through photos. Most recently, his work led him to be part of a team from NatGeo that did an extensive photojournalism shoot of the Yellow Stone National Park ecosystem.



After effectively teaching the audience about the intersection of photography and ecosystem story telling, Charlie then got to the meat of his presentation. Telling us about how he bought a rain forest in Peru and learned important life lessons about people, communities, and conservation. Charlie's journey began with a friend who called asking him to purchase some land in Peru to help protect the Manu National Park. Basically there was a plot of land just outside the national park that the region's most notorious illegal logger was using to travel in and out of the rain forest. So, on a whim he bought the land and embarked on an interesting journey learning about the Manu National Rain Forest, the richness of the biodiversity within its lands, and about the people who were destroying it for survival.

You should really see Charlie talk about his experience because I can hardly do the complexity and richness of his story justice through my blog. But what I can tell you is what I learned and how this lecture only served to reinforce my belief in the interconnectedness of people and the importance of empathy as a tool for social change.

I've always known about the richness of biodiversity found in the rain forest and the important and vital role it serves within our global ecosystem, but I've never taken a moment to assess its deforestation through a critical lens, particularly one not crafted through first world privilege. Charlie's talk helped me understand some of the more intricate challenges facing our global community as we discuss the importance of conservation and global climate change. My favorite line from Charlie's talk was "conservation is a bourgeois concept."

I've never thought of it like that, but examining it through a different lens it totally fits. So, I encourage you to take some time to think differently, to learn more, and to take advantage of some of the unique learning opportunities that surround us everyday.

Expand your mind. And be a better global citizen.

With Love,
DC3FO


Popular Posts