Do you stop and smell the roses?

Well, it has been a few since I last blogged and I just wanted to take a moment to say as busy as life is it is important to recognize when you're living a happy and full life.

Like everyone, I have my moments when I am frustrated and exhausted - at work, or my romantic life (or lack thereof), or with constantly being on the go - and those feelings can get the better of me. But over the years I have learned how important it is to stop and smell the proverbial roses. By that I mean that I do my best to take a moment every so often to recognize how truly lucky I am to be living this life. Sometimes I actively do this and other times the reflection comes naturally - like while waiting for the bus to work on a brisk sunny morning or sitting in the sun on a beautiful spring afternoon. (Hmm, I guess the sun is a trigger for me...)

Looking back over the first three months of 2015, I can surely say I was busy and at times exhausted, but I was living and enjoying life as often as I could. That's how I....
  • Made the most of two months serving on grand jury duty;
  • Took a weekend adventure up to NYC to see the Matisse exhibit at the MoMA;
  • Started my service on the Police Complaints Board - the governing body overseeing the DC Office of Police Complaints;
  • Co-authored an article for SWERV Magazine with the incomparable June Crenshaw on LGBT domestic violence;
  • Authored an op-Ed for the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange talking about the increased need for victim services for young men of color; 
  • Traveled to Tucson for a family wedding; 
  • Booked a summer trip with a friend to Iceland; 
  • Started my second season of Sunday gay kickball;
  • And wrote an outline for this post while sitting in the sun on a porch at Rehoboth Beach, while away with friends for Easter weekend. 

It's been a busy three months, but honestly I'm truly fortunate to have the opportunity to travel, be involved in meaningful work and share my life with the most amazing people.

How are you fortunate? What do you do to slow down and remember that even though life can be challenging, it is essential to focus on the good, to help others and to be open to share friendship and love beyond measure? 

Think about it...

With love,
DC3FO 

And just for fun, here is yet another reason I love Kelly Clarkson :)

Popular Posts