Goodbye Camry, goodbye....

Oh the Camry...yes, it is what you may suspect I am talking about a car. And not just any car, but my car. She was a 1994 Toyota Camry XLE v6 - yeah I was fancy, it is ok, I admit it. Camry - not an original name by any means but it's what I had called her since I bought her - and last Friday we parted ways for good. So if you will join me for a minute we can walk down memory lane and reminisce about my longest relationship (we were together 11 years!)

I bought her at the end of my freshman year of college. She replaced my first vehicle, a truck. Yes, you read that correctly - I had a truck. A 1991 Ford Ranger, red pick-up truck, manual, no power steering and no A/C to be exact. Who knew I was so manly, right!?! I had some great times in that truck zooming around Columbus, but I can tell more of those stories later, for now let's get back to the Camry.

Well needless to say the Camry was quite the upgrade from that truck - 4 doors, power everything, A/C, and a sunroof!It was like I had won the lottery! And for over a decade we traveled the mid-Atlantic together. She saw me through college, grad school and into the start of my career. She had registrations and license plates in 5 states: Ohio, Delaware, North Carolina, Virginia and DC.

And she even helped to make history by carting me around as I campaigned in Delaware for Obama in 2008. And again she did her her civic duty by accompany my housemate Josh as he spent a month working on the 2012 Obama re-election campaign in Ohio. So, yes, you are welcome Barack and Joe....and yes Sherrod Brown too!

I bought her a week after I turned 19 and I said goodbye to her 2 weeks before I turn 30. Ironically, it seemed like the most appropriate time - and not just because of the onslaught of mechanical problems that were arising - but because she was with me as I entered my 20s and it only seemed fitting that as I embark on my next decade in life that we part ways. So, I have officially become a car-less D.C. resident! My friends (ahem Nick) would be so proud.

So let's raise a glass to the Camry. We got a divorce and she spent the last 11 years sucking me dry of money, but there were more good memories than bad!




Popular Posts