Moving and shaking! And nope I am not talking about dancing.

It's been a busy past couple of weeks - so for your enjoyment here is a quick recap.

One of the most exciting things for me was when we were able to formally announce that Rainbow Response was the recipient of a D.C. Office of Victim Services grant. For me the culmination of all the work that the leadership of Rainbow Response has put in over the years was realized when we were awarded this grant, our first ever. We were one of 5 grantees of the Cultural Capacity and Language Access grant. Over the summer Rainbow Response and an advisory council will be planning a LGBTQ healthy relationships education and outreach campaign for the District. It is a much needed effort to educate on healthy relationships and intimate partner violence in our communities. You can learn more about the grant, the award and Rainbow Response here: Rainbow Response - CCLA Press Release

Good things are happening particularly related to efforts to educate and reach out to those impacted by domestic violence in the District. And no, I am not just referring to Rainbow Response's recent cultural capacity grant - there were a number of organizations who were awarded funds under the same Office of Victim Services RFP such projects include: work to expand D.C.'s interpreter bank, enhance outreach and services to the Latino and Asian-Pacific Islander communities as well as outreach work for immigrant victims of partner violence.

So I am sure you are asking yourself: how can I help? How can I get involved? Well, the answer is simple - join me on May 8th as we celebrate Rainbow Response's 7th Anniversary. Yep Rainbow Response is seven years old and I have been a part of the organizational leadership for over half of its existence. We've had a lot of successes over the years, from publishing research to developing materials and training the Metropolitan Police Department on LGBTQ domestic violence. Come out to Madams Organ from 5-9 on Thursday, May 8th and join me for some drinks and food - a portion of the evenings sales go to Rainbow Response. Let's celebrate our success and help raise funds to implement that education and outreach campaign! More info here: 7 drinks for 7 years! Come Celebrate Rainbow Response

In addition to working hard to secure Rainbow Response's grant, I've done a couple blogs for work. And just as a refresher for those of you who may not know I work for the Justice Policy Institute - it is a nonprofit organization that works to reduce society's reliance on mass incarceration. So, yes I have to blog for them too, gotta pay the bills. The first one was in honor of National Crime Victims' Rights Week and focused on my experience working with victims over the years and highlighting the continued need for the criminal justice reform and victims rights communities to work together to improve our justice system for all people. Because as I say to my interns at JPI: our current criminal justice system cost too much, isn't fair and doesn't work. You can read the blog here: National Crime Victims' Rights Week: Restoring the Balance of Justice

To keep it rolling at work, I also recently published a blog about the insidious interest of privatization in the criminal justice system, particularly talking about private prisons. If you didn't know I was the co-author of the JPI report Gaming the System that examined the political strategies private prison companies use to ensure the success of their industry. Simple translation: for private prison companies to make more money they need more people in their prisons. Good for public safety policy, right? Wrong! Terrible for policy, people and communities. You can read more about that here: The Insidiousness of Private Interest

Lastly, May is the month of my birth. I know you are just as excited as I am!! So, come out and celebrate with me on May 17th - let's celebrate the fact that I'm entering my third decade on this earth. It should be a good time. And hell who doesn't want to drink with D.C.'s Third Favorite Otter - don't miss it! DC's 3rd Favorite turns 3 decades, Bitch be there!

Popular Posts