A big thank you!

On morning of October 27th I met some friends down at Freedom Plaza to participate in D.C.'s annual AIDS Walk. Just as last year, this year I was a team captain...the team's name - Hopes Lives On.What's the story behind that name? I know that is the burning question eating your soul right now. So, breath easy because you are about to learn....

Hope Lives On is a representation of a number of things, the team name was largely inspired by my good friend and mentor Marla and our shared belief that we must all be agents for social change. Marla and I worked together on the Obama Campaign in Delaware in 2008. She is truly a force to be reckoned with and I am lucky to have her in my corner. During my time living in the "Small Wonder" I did a lot of volunteer work with the Delaware HIV Consortium. Their Executive Director is a friend and I spent many days helping the consortium plan fundraising and awareness events and campaigns. I also spent my time serving on the policy committee working to address funding issues with the state legislature concerning HIV/AIDS and homelessness within the state of Delaware. Those experiences, working on these issues and getting to know so many people living with HIV/AIDS really solidified in me my participation in the AIDS Walk. I did it both years I lived in Delaware and for the past two years as a team captain here in D.C. 

So, yes team Hope Lives On is inspired by Marla and our shared beliefs, but more than that I think it serves to me as poignant reminder that I chose to walk for the people I know who are living with HIV/AIDS, who have died from the disease, and who are working tirelessly on education, prevention, and treatment efforts - like my friend Peter and his folks at the Delaware HIV Consortium. 

In case you were wondering, D.C. has one of the highest rates of HIV infection in the country and the AIDS Walk serves to raise money for the Whitman Walker Clinic. Whitman Walker is a fantastic health organization that is truly vital to community efforts to ensure that those affected by this disease receive proper treatment, that there is free HIV testing available around the city, and that there is a continued focus on prevention and education efforts. 

I would like to take a moment and give a big shout out to all those who donated this year, both to me personally, my team and the AIDS Walk in general. Your generosity is truly appreciated and it is people like you that gives me hope that we can continue to ensure that those living with this disease have the access to proper care and that our focus remains on education and prevention.

Lastly, I would like to give a big thanks to the great friends that I have who woke up bright and early on a Saturday to do the walk with me! You guys are truly champions for change and make my life here in D.C. that much better! Yay you! :)






Popular Posts