Welcome to my blog!

Here we are in 2012 and I guess I have finally decided to try out this whole blog thing. It's been a long time coming and I look forward to being able to share my thoughts, ideas, passions and at times funny life stories with you all.

So now on to answering the question I am sure you thought of as soon as you landed on this site - why is it called "DC's Third Favorite Otter?" Well, duh - because I am DC's third favorite otter. Long story short, a friend of mine started this community event that occurs the first Friday of each month called "Otter Crossing." If you don't know what an otter is and would like to learn - here is your chance - click here. On May 4th, Metro Weekly partnered with Otter Crossing in honor of the new Asian small-clawed otters who arrived at the National Zoo to find DC's favorite otter. Needless to say, I was entered into the competition and in the end after a week long vote I came in third. Should I have won? Maybe - but third is great and the title has stuck...so there you have it.

I hope to use this space not only as a means to keep friends and family up-to-date on life, but also as a forum for change. If you don't know already I am a criminal justice researcher and social justice advocate. In my day job I work on issues surrounding mass incarceration in the U.S. and after hours I work to educate around issues of LGBTQ intimate partner violence. I fully believe that we each are in a unique position to use our talents and abilities to make positive change. I talk about issues that impact marginalized communities, because I believe as a privileged gay man it is MY responsibility to advocate for those who haven't had the same opportunities that I have been afforded.

And now for your entertainment the Metro Weekly video from DC's favorite otter contest:


Popular Posts